APRIL NATURE NOTES
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Snow showers through the day. More snow higher up. Good to see.
- 2012: Yellowstone | Upper Geyser Basin – First Grizzly Bear seen on the live streaming webcam pointed at Old Faithful and the Upper Geyser Basin.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Hundreds of Gray-crowned Rosy Finches came in today – hopefully dining on ticks. Snow showers in the day settled in more solidly and we had 1″ on the deck by bedtime.
- 2014: Cody | South Fork – 25-30 Sandhill Cranes were spotted in the fields. One pair stayed closer to the spot where a pair has been seen nesting over the past few years closer to town.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Sunny but cold. Snow melted up to tree line.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Total lunar eclipse this morning. Humid and cold.
- 2016: Yellowstone | Northern Range – First Bison calf was seen toddling about.
- 2016: Cody | In Town – Leaves on trees on Canyon Avenue popped today (this afternoon).
- 2014: Gardiner – An American Kestrel was seen as well as a skunk.
- 2014: Cody – Lightning was seen for the first time this year off in the distance closer to the Bighorn Mountains in the evening.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk hunted near the house this morning – but the rabbits stayed tucked in. Mountain Bluebirds actively building their nest. Mule deer are hanging out in smaller groups of 2-4 rather than the large winter herds.
- 2014: Cody | In Town – Watched a House Finch gather material to build a nest. A search for Kestrels on South Fork came up with none.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Had about 4″ of snow.
- 2015: A male Mountain Bluebird was fighting his reflection in the window this evening.
- 2014: Big Horn Basin | Near Lovell – At least 20 Wild Turkeys were seen strutting.
- 2015: Cody WY – Five American White Pelicans were seen on Buffalo Bill Reservoir this evening. And the Turkey Vultures returned this week to Cody.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Mountain Bluebirds still building their nest this evening.
- 2014: Cody | North Fork – Woke to 2-3″ of snow in Cody – seemed to be about the same amount all the way up North Fork. The willows across from Pahaska were starting to put out their catkins (first seen). Elk were seen in large numbers near the UXU Ranch. Western Bluebirds in vast numbers were seen not far from the Wapiti post office (at least 100).
- 2014: West Yellowstone | Hebgen Lake – A report on Facebook says the ice on Hebgen Lake is blue as it starts to lose its hold on the lake. (ME via FB)
- 2014: Cody | In Town – The Turkey Vultures were seen on their familiar roost in town – they may have returned the week prior, but they were too far away to verify. Also, a Kestrel was seen preying on the bluebirds up North Fork. (MRJ)
- 2014: Yellowstone | Various Locations – “There were Sandhill Cranes at Elk Park and Beaver Lake this morning, and there was a Swan in the Firehole River at Biscuit Basin.”
- 2014: West Yellowstone – Kirkwood Resort and Marina shared Mike Burdic’s photo and report of seeing his first Baby Bison of the season
- 2014: Yellowstone | Upper Geyser Basin – A Grizzly Bear was seen near the Old Faithful Interchange – WB’s first of the year.
- 2014: Yellowstone | Gardiner /North Entrance – First Baby Bison seen this season seen by the Yellowstone Park Foundation
- 2014: Belfry-Bridger Area – Great Blue Herons were seen in nests in the rookery by the highway, American Kestrels were seen & a pair of Sandhill Cranes were seen with one on the nest – other Sandhill Cranes were also seen.
- 2014: Cody | South Fork – While fishing near the Dust Abatement Dike on Buffalo Bill Reservoir, a friend saw 3 Sandhill Cranes flew over and began circling upward until they were far out of sight, making the next leg of their migration journey.
- 2014: Cody | In town – While on a walk, we watched an American Kestrel take down and dine on a Eurasion Dove.
- 2015: Cody | Wapiti – Mountain Bluebirds seen mating.
- 2014: Yellowstone | Various Locations – A trip report from our first visit to Yellowstone this summer. First chipmunk spotted on the loop around Old Faithful near Old Faithful Lodge.
- 2014: Cody | Near Town – a batch of Mayflies hatched.
- 2015: Cody | Wapiti – Mountain Bluebirds seen mating again. Saw three American White Pelicans on Buffalo Bill Reservoir. Heard Sandhill Cranes in the Wapiti Valley.
- 2015: Cody | Wapiti – Saw the first Yellow Viola blooming in the yard.
- 2015: Cody | In Town & on Jim Creek in Wapiti – Heard Ruby-crowned Kinglets for the first time this year in both spots.
- 2015: Cody | Wapiti – A neighbor watched a Wild Turkey strutting around his house.