JANUARY NATURE NOTES
- 2015: Cody | Wapiti Area – Watched two ravens ‘dance’ on a fence rail. Courting behavior.
- 2015: Cody Area – A wind storm started last night around 10:00. Gusts in the Clark area were reported as high as 113 mph. Gusts in the Wapiti area have reached 82.5 mph.
- 2015: Cody | Newton Lakes – Ice fishermen report great fishing today at Newton Lakes. Ice is about 8″ thick.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Heavy frost this morning. Warm and muddy today – snow is gone. Washed the mud off the windows from the wind storm.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Warm much of the day, then upslope moved in from the east and the temps dropped into the teens.
- 2015: Cody | Buffalo Bill Reservoir – Ice fishermen out on the ice.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Snow started falling by the evening. We could hear three Great Horned Owls before bedtime from a couple of different locations. Perhaps they’re establishing territories.
- 2017: Cody WY – Woke to 6-8″ of snow. Ended up with a foot of snow by the time it ended later in the day.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – 1/2″ to 1″ of snow on the ground this morning. Quite a few mule deer around the houses today. Someone higher up spotted some wolf tracks that might account for the reason the deer moved down. Warm, sunny and calm today.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Mule deer still hanging out around the houses today. Gorgeous weather – sunny and in the 30’s with no wind to speak of.
- 2015: Cody | Buffalo Bill Reservoir – Heard a report that the ice was 8-9″ thick.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Sunny again, but the wind picked up mid-morning (20-30 mph)
- 2015: Wapiti WY – The Mule Deer were all around in the morning but by evening had moved back up the mountain. Wondering if the wolves have moved out.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Saw three mule deer does come racing down the hill this morning and joining up with another two coming out of a neighboring drainage. Never saw what spooked them, but a neighbor thought it was the wolves still. He also saw his first antler shed of the year of a ~10″ spike.
- 2014: Cody | Buffalo Bill Reservoir – The previous week there were ice fishermen on the lake, but extremely strong winds came and blew the ice off the water and piled it up, leaving a large amount of open water. Read the full blog post. (JW)
- 2015: Wapiti WY – We had 30-50 mph winds overnight that continued through the day. Saw a Northern Shrike looking in the sage brush bushes.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Overnight high gust recorded by the weather station was 75 mph. Rain showers through the day with 40-50 mph winds.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Woke to a skiff of snow on the east side of the house. Saw a pair of Golden Eagles – one flew fairly close to the house that had a single white tail feather. Mule Deer camped out just west of the house this evening.
- 2016: Yellowstone | Upper Geyser Basin – Watched a raven pair ‘dance’ on the wind in the Castle Geyser area a few times – courting behavior. (JW)
- 2015: Watched the Golden Eagle pair again today.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Gold Eagles seen at sunset in the same spot as yesterday. This time they were just a couple of feet apart just hanging motionless in the wind.
- 2015: Cody | Buffalo Bill Reservoir – The ice is looking quite thin.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Overcast this morning with just a slight breeze. 32° F at 7:30 AM.
- 2015: Wapiti WY – Saw the Golden Eagle pair again dancing on the wind.
- 2015: Gorgeous day in the 60’s!
- 2015: Clouds and wind built throughout the day.
- 2015: Gorgeous day with no wind.